Is this solar panel kit right for me?
This 5kW microinverter based kit is a serious residential solar system. It's one of the most popular installed systems. The energy generated by these systems is significant. The average American uses 920kWh per month. Based on that average this system could provide 40-90% of your usage and reduce your bill by as much as 90%. If you're an average consumer of electricity (920kWh/month), a 5330W system is probably a great fit for you.
A 5kW Solar Kit requires up to 299 square feet of space. This 5kW solar kit supplies 5,000 Watts of DC direct current power. This could produce an estimated 350 to 850 kilowatt hours (kWh) of alternating current (AC) power per month, assuming at least 5 sun hours per day with the solar array facing South. The highest output will be achieved with an unobstructed south-facing view of the sun for maximum solar power. The actual power generated will vary based on location, equipment and installation factors. Refer to your electric utility bill to find the actual kWh used per month and compare it to how much power these low cost 5kW PV systems can generate.
How easy is it to install?
- A 5kW solar kit can take one or two weekends to install.
- Our kits use industry leading solar panels, inverters, and racking systems specifically selected and combined to make do-it-yourself installation possible.
- A homeowner who has wired an AC outlet and is comfortable working on their roof can install our Solar kit.
The installation of a solar system, even from a complete kit is considered above the average homeowner's skill set and should not be taken upon lightly. Each task is rather simple, but you will be working at heights, on a angle, probably in the heat of the bright sun, working with power tools, hoisting large expensive pieces of glass up ladders and across a roof peppered with racking and wiring.
You'll also be working with DC voltages above 300VDC and household 240V AC. You should be good with simple math and be mechanically inclined. If you're willing to give it a try, it can be a rewarding experience both in saving you a lot of money and of giving you a great sense of accomplishment.
If self-installation is not for you, we can help you find a local solar contractor to help you with the process.
What is the installation process?
A typical solar roof mounted system for a home can be installed within 2 days once a permit is obtained from your city or county. After that, it’s just 5 easy steps until you’re producing power from the sun.
- Take your plan set to your city or county and apply for a permit to install. The plan review process can take up to 10 days. Once the city or county approves your plans and issues your permit you may begin installing your solar system.
- First, the racking and mounting system must be installed. This is the most laborious process of the solar installation process. You have to locate the rafters on your home and secure the racking system directly to them.
- Once the racking and mounting system is on your roof, the solar panels and inverters can be quickly installed. The inverter(s) are then tied into the grid through a dedicated breaker in your main service panel.
- When the installation is complete, your city or county inspector must sign off on it. You can accomplish this by scheduling an inspection meeting with them.
- Lastly, you must send the final job card, interconnection paperwork, and your net metering agreement to your utility. They will then grant you Permission to Operate. It can take up to 4 weeks after passing inspection for your utility to provide you Permission to Operate. With our interconnection service we will process all the paperwork for you.
Our job is not over until your system is producing clean energy from the sun! We offer you support throughout the installation process with manuals, videos, and technical support.
Benefits of Going Solar
- Federal government provides a 26% tax credit on all residential solar installations until 12/31/2022.
- Some state & local governments as well as some utilities are also offering financial incentives to homeowners.
- Investing in solar on your roof provides 6%-13% return on investment, better than most other investments today.
- By going solar you'll be supporting local jobs and helping America become more energy independent.
- By going solar you'll be reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and help clean up the environment for future generations.
|Buying Solar||Leasing Solar|
Save up to 100% of your electricity bill
Save an average of 20% of your electricity bill
|Tax credits and incentives||
Homeowner receives all rebates and credits
Homeowner receives no rebates or credits
|Upfront installation costs||
Homeowner pays upfront but can leverage mortgage or credit line for positive cash flow
Low or no upfront costs
Home value increases by $20,000 for each $1,000 offset in annual electricity cost
Value of home does not change and new homeowner must negotiate new lease terms
|System upgrade & customization||
Homeowner can fully customize and upgrade solar PV system at any time
Homeowner locked into leasing company's choice of solar PV system
NOTE: Prices are based on average layout with average length wire runs. Your Complete Solar Kit will most likely be a couple hundred dollars below or above depending upon you home's requirements.
NOTE: You should also budget for shipping cost and if you're in California, Sales Tax.
NOTE: Production values can vary greatly, the numbers here are estimates based on averages.
For example a (33) 250W module system:
at 32 degrees tilt facing 180 south in San Diego could produce 1,104kWh/month
at 23 degree tilt facing 165 southeast in Massachusetts could produce 793kWh/month
Call 866-798-4435 to give us details about your house and we can quickly provide a good estimate of how much the kit would produce if installed at the proposed location under proposed tilt and azimuth. You'll need to provide your zip code, your roof tilt and compass heading of the roof pitch.
Solar Panels — 13x Tier-1 monocrystalline panels with 25 year warranties.
Inverter + PV Optimizers — Includes SolarEdge inverter with PV optimizers. Compatible with Tesla Powerwall (Not included).
Racking and Attachments — Industry leading IronRidge racking mounts the solar panels to your roof.
- System Monitoring — Free with every kit purchase! View and analyze your solar energy production in real-time.
- System Design and Financial Analysis — We'll custom engineer this system for your roof and calculate the payback on your solar investment.
- Wire, conduit, fittings, breakers, AC/DC Disconnects (if required), junction boxes and a sub panel (if required). All these items can be purchased at any electrical supply shop, Home Depot or Lowes, and will typically cost $300 to $500.
- Our technical support representative will provide a shopping list once your plans are complete.
- Plans, interconnection, and any other services are not included in this kit, but available for an additional fee.
Save thousands of dollars
Going DIY can save you $10,000 or more, depending on system size. Tax credits still apply for equipment, hardware and any other installation services you utilize.
Have more control over your solar project
You get to make decisions on equipment selection, location of solar panels and timeline for your installation.
End-to-end support with a money-back guarantee
GoGreenSolar is with you every step of the way during your installation. We’re also the only DIY solar company with a money-back guarantee. If your permit isn’t approved even after following our instructions we’ll provide a full refund*.