Is this solar panel kit right for me?
A 4kW Solar Kit requires up to 230 square feet of space. Ideal output will be achieved with an unobstructed south-facing view of the sun for maximum solar power. 4kW or 4 kilowatts is 4,000 watts of DC direct current power and could produce an estimated 300 to 750 kilowatt hours (kWh) of alternating current (AC) power per month, assuming at least 5 sun hours per day with the solar array facing south. The actual power generated will vary based on location, equipment and installation factors. Refer to your electric utility bill to find the actual kWh used per month and compare it to how much power these low cost 4kW PV systems can generate.
How easy is it to install?
- A 4kW solar system can take one or two weekends to install.
- Our kits use industry leading solar panels, inverters, and racking systems specifically selected and combined to make do-it-yourself installation possible.
- A homeowner who has wired an AC outlet and is comfortable working on their roof can install our Solar kit.
Each task is rather simple, but you will be working at heights, on a angle, probably in the heat of the bright sun, working with power tools, hoisting large expensive pieces of glass up ladders and across a roof peppered with racking and wiring.
You'll also be working with DC voltages above 300VDC and household 240V AC. You should be good with simple math and be mechanically inclined. If you're willing to give it a try, it can be a rewarding experience both in saving you a lot of money and of giving you a great sense of accomplishment.
If self-installation is not for you, we can help you find a local solar contractor to help you with the process.
What is the installation process?
A typical solar system for a home can be installed within one weekend once a permit is obtained from your city or county. After that, it’s just 5 easy steps until you’re producing power from the sun.
- Take your plan set to your city or county and apply for a permit to install. The plan review process can take up to 10 days. Once the city or county approves your plans and issues your permit you may begin installing your solar system.
- First, the racking and mounting system must be installed. This is the most laborious process of the solar installation process. You have to locate the rafters on your home and secure the racking system directly to them.
- Once the racking and mounting system is on your roof, the solar panels and inverters can be quickly installed. The inverter(s) are then tied into the grid through a dedicated breaker in your main service panel.
- When the installation is complete, your city or county inspector must sign off on it. You can accomplish this by scheduling an inspection meeting with them.
- Lastly, you must send the final job card, interconnection paperwork, and your net metering agreement to your utility. They will then grant you Permission to Operate. It can take up to 4 weeks after passing inspection for your utility to provide you Permission to Operate. With our interconnection service we will process all the paperwork for you.
Our job is not over until your system is producing clean energy from the sun! We offer you support throughout the installation process with manuals, videos, and technical support.
How much should I pay a contractor to install the solar kit?
Any licensed general, electrical or solar contractor can install our solar kits. If you select to hire a contractor to install your solar kit, you should expect to pay approximately $1.00 per watt for labor, wire, conduit, fittings, breakers and other miscellaneous electrical components to complete the solar system installation. For a 4 kW (kilowatt) system, which is 4,000 watts, you can expect to pay $4,000 for installation. If needed, we can assist you with finding a contractor.
Can you install the solar kit on my home for me?
Yes! As a licensed C-10 electrical contractor based in Orange County, we also offer complete solar installation for homes in California at highly competitive pricing. Sit back and enjoy a complete turn-key solar installation at lower rates than other solar companies.
Benefits of Going Solar
- Federal government provides a 26% tax credit on all residential solar installations until 12/31/2022.
- Some state & local governments as well as some utilities are also offering financial incentives to homeowners.
- Investing in solar on your roof provides 6%-13% return on investment, better than most other investments today.
- By going solar you'll be supporting local jobs and helping America become more energy independent.
- By going solar you'll be reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and help clean up the environment for future generations.
|Buying Solar||Leasing Solar|
Save up to 100% of your electricity bill
Save an average of 20% of your electricity bill
|Tax credits and incentives||
Homeowner receives all rebates and credits
Homeowner receives no rebates or credits
|Upfront installation costs||
Homeowner pays upfront but can leverage mortgage or credit line for positive cash flow
Low or no upfront costs
Home value increases by $20,000 for each $1,000 offset in annual electricity cost
Value of home does not change and new homeowner must negotiate new lease terms
|System upgrade & customization||
Homeowner can fully customize and upgrade solar PV system at any time
Homeowner locked into leasing company's choice of solar PV system
NOTE: Prices are based on average layout with average length wire runs. Your Complete Solar Kit will most likely be a couple hundred dollars below or above depending upon you home's requirements.
NOTE: You should also budget for shipping cost and if you're in California, Sales Tax.
NOTE: Production values can vary greatly, the numbers here are estimates based on averages.
Call 866-798-4435 to give us details about your house and we can quickly provide a good estimate of how much the kit would produce if installed at the proposed location under proposed tilt and azimuth. You'll need to provide your zip code, your roof tilt and compass heading of the roof pitch.
Solar Panels — 10x Tier-1 monocrystalline panels with 25 year warranties.
Grid-Tied String Inverter — Ultra reliable SMA Sunny Boy inverter with Secure Power Supply and Rapid Shutdown.
Racking and Attachments — Industry leading IronRidge racking mounts the solar panels to your roof.
- System Monitoring — Free with every kit purchase! View and analyze your solar energy production in real-time.
- System Design and Financial Analysis — We'll custom engineer this system for your roof and calculate the payback on your solar investment.
- Wire, conduit, fittings, breakers, AC/DC Disconnects (if required), junction boxes and a sub panel (if required). All these items can be purchased at any electrical supply shop, Home Depot or Lowes, and will typically cost $300 to $500.
- Our technical support representative will provide a shopping list once your plans are complete.
- Plans, interconnection, and any other services are not included in this kit, but available for an additional fee.
Interested in this solar panel kit for your home or business?
Contact us for a free estimate, and we'll provide custom recommendations that are personalized for your energy needs.